Volg BuzzyBee op Twitter !Volg BuzzyBee op Facebook !
Het is nu 12 dec 2017, 01:41

Alle tijden zijn GMT + 1 uur

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 15 berichten ] 
Auteur Bericht
 Berichttitel: DTM Seizoen 2012
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 02 apr 2012, 15:02 
Oud-Roerganger

Mercedes-Benz Junior Team: Bringing on new talent in the DTM

Mercedes-Benz is expanding its successful young driver programme in the 2012 season with a junior team for the German Touring Car Masters (DTM). Roberto Merhi (Spain, 20, Junge Sterne Mercedes AMG C-Coupé, Persson Motorsport), Christian Vietoris (Germany, 23, Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé, HWA) and Robert Wickens (Canada, 22, stern Mercedes AMG C-Coupé, Mücke Motorsport) will be contesting the world’s most popular touring car series behind the wheel of a DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé as members of the Mercedes-Benz Junior Team.
Afbeelding
Serving as role model and mentor to the Junior Team will be Michael Schumacher; the veteran MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula 1 driver will bring all his experience to bear from seven world championship titles and 91 Grand Prix victories. Schumacher himself also benefited from the Mercedes-Benz programme in the years 1990 and 1991, when he lined up alongside Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Karl Wendlinger with Sauber Mercedes in the Sports Prototype Championship. Schumacher, Frentzen (156 Grand Prix starts, 3 wins, 1997 World Championship runner-up) and Wendlinger (41 Grand Prix starts) all succeeded in making the step up to Formula One.
Christian Vietoris enters his second DTM season in 2012. The 23-year-old finished his rookie season on four points, his best race result being fifth place in the race at Oschersleben. Roberto Merhi and Robert Wickens are both about to make their DTM debut this season.
Merhi has been a member of the Mercedes-Benz young drivers programme since 2008, winning the 2011 Formula 3 Euro Series title in a Dallara-Mercedes as well as the first-ever FIA ​​Formula 3 International Trophy. As a reward for this success, he was invited to test drive the new DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé at the end of the 2011 season.

Wickens won the 2011 Formula Renault 3.5 World Series championship, posting five victories along the way. Later that same year, he gained his first experience of Formula One in a series of test drives for Marussia Virgin Racing and Lotus Renault GP. In 2009, he finished second in the Formula 2 standings, repeating this result in the GP3 Series the following year.
Encouraging young talent in motorsport has a long tradition at Mercedes-Benz. Since the inaugural Formula 3 Euro Series in 2003, 13 drivers have made the breakthrough to Formula One after learning their trade with a Mercedes-Benz Formula 3 engine. 33 percent of the Formula One grid for the 2012 season started out in Formula 3 with a Mercedes-Benz engine – reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel and former champion Lewis Hamilton, 2010 DTM Champion Paul Di Resta, Kamui Kobayashi, Romain Grosjean, Nico Hülkenberg, Daniel Ricciardo and Bruno Senna.

The Mercedes-Benz young drivers programme can also point to similar successes in other top motor racing series. Of the nine Mercedes-Benz DTM drivers in the 2011 season, five (i.e. more than half) competed in Formula 3 with Mercedes-Benz engines.

Roberto Merhi: “It’s a dream come true for me to have been promoted to the Mercedes-Benz DTM Junior Team. Having a Mercedes-Benz Junior Team in the DTM is a fabulous idea, and it’s the perfect way for me to advance my career. Without this talent development scheme which Mercedes-Benz have been running successfully for so many years, I wouldn’t be where I am now. It’s a great honour to be following in the footsteps of all the many famous drivers such as Lewis Hamilton, Jamie Green and Paul Di Resta, knowing that they have had the backing of Mercedes-Benz and went on to win championship titles in the Formula 3 Euro Series, in Formula 1 and in the DTM.”
Christian Vietoris: “I feel very much at home in the Mercedes-Benz family and in this particular race environment, so I am all the more delighted to be one of the three drivers in the new Mercedes-Benz Junior Team. I hope to establish a long-term relationship with Mercedes-Benz in the world’s most popular touring car series, and I’m aiming to make a persuasive case for myself out on the track.”
Robert Wickens: “The DTM is a fantastic series – you’re competing against top-notch drivers. I’m proud that Mercedes-Benz are giving me the chance to show what I am capable of in this environment in the Junior Team. My main aim will be to finish every race and to deliver decent performances.”
Michael Schumacher: “I remember clearly the early stages of my career, and what I gained from my time in the Mercedes-Benz Junior Team - both on and off the track. It taught me the best way of working with the engineers and helped me build a professional relationship to the media. I'm excited to see how Christian, Roberto and Robert develop - they're certainly going to have a great time - and I enjoyed meeting them in Barcelona to offer a few tips from my own experience. Mercedes-Benz places great importance on developing the next generation of drivers - and there are plenty of examples who demonstrate this. Being selected as a member of the Mercedes-Benz Junior Team is really something to be proud of. I will be following the performances of the DTM juniors closely and wish them lots of success.”
Norbert Haug, Vice-President Mercedes-Benz Motorsport:“Here at Mercedes-Benz, we have a tradition of nurturing promising young drivers and talent-spotting the stars of tomorrow that goes back almost as far as the earliest Mercedes-built racing cars.
In 2012, we are sending three highly gifted twenty-somethings into the fray as our DTM Junior Team: Roberto Merhi, the reigning Formula 3 Euro Series champion; Christian Vietoris, a GP2 champion who already has experience of DTM racing; and Robert Wickens who won the Renault World Series. All three of them are keen to seize this wonderful opportunity. And they have excellent role models in Michael Schumacher, Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Karl Wendlinger, the successful trio who made up the Mercedes Junior Team in the late eighties and early nineties, and who have still not finished making motor racing history.
The 2012 DTM season sees the introduction of a new coupé generation; this will be the first year in which our young and dynamic A-Class capturing the spirit of the times makes its debut – our DTM juniors do the same in their own way. Roberto, Christian and Robert have a lot to learn, but that will not be a problem, as they are all three avid learners. The youth factor is entirely consistent with the DTM, even more so now that the series has been broadened out to include the three most successful premium marques in the world.”
Afbeelding
bron: Daimler

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel: Re: DTM Seizoen 2012
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 03 apr 2012, 12:37 
Oud-Roerganger

Daimler stuurde een paar foto's...
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 08 apr 2012, 16:50 
Oud-Roerganger

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Foto's Daimler

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 11 apr 2012, 13:30 
Oud-Roerganger

Michael Schumacher to attend DTM season opener at Hockenheim

The DTM enters a new era on 29 April, with spectacular new cars and a third premium manufacturer competing for the title. They are all good reasons why Michael Schumacher will attend the opening race of the world’s most popular touring car series. Michael will be at Hockenheim for the opening race weekend of the DTM’s new era as a guest of Mercedes-Benz.
The MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS driver competed in four DTM races as a member of the Mercedes-Benz junior team in the 1990 and 1991 seasons.
Then as now, the championship was fiercely contested by the three prestigious German marques Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
Among the eight drivers racing for Mercedes-Benz this season is his younger brother Ralf Schumacher (Germany, 36, DTM Mercedes AMG C‑Coupé) who claimed his first DTM podium finish in last year’s season opener at the Hockenheimring.
The seven-time World Champion will also see the three members of the new Mercedes-Benz Junior Team, Roberto Merhi (Spain, 20, Junge Sterne Mercedes AMG C-Coupé, Persson Motorsport), Christian Vietoris (Germany, 23, Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé, HWA) and Robert Wickens (Canada, 22, stern Mercedes AMG C-Coupé, Mücke Motorsport), after meeting them for the first time during pre-season Formula 1 testing in Barcelona
Michael Schumacher: “It doesn’t seem all that long ago since we launched the new DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé at the Frankfurt Motor Show last September. I’m really interested to see whether the car looks as good on track as it did during the launch. And of course, I’ll be supporting my brother Ralf. He got his first DTM podium finish a year ago in Hockenheim and, who knows, maybe we’ll have a reason to celebrate this time round as well. I'm also looking forward to the first race for the newly formed Mercedes-Benz Junior Team, and its drivers Christian Vietoris, Robert Wickens and Roberto Merhi. Just like I did at the start of my career, these young drivers have the benefit of being supported by Mercedes-Benz as they make the step to top-flight motor racing. It’s a long time since I last went to the DTM, so I’m looking forward to an exciting race at Hockenheim and to enjoying the fantastic atmosphere.”
Afbeelding
Bron: Daimler AG

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 17 apr 2012, 16:02 
Oud-Roerganger

Comeback van BMW in DTM: het aftellen is begonnen

Met nog twee weken te gaan tot de eerste race van het 2012 DTM seizoen, heeft BMW Motorsport vorige week officieel het testprogramma afgerond. Van maandag tot donderdag hebben de drie BMW teams en hun zes coureurs hard gewerkt op de Hockenheimring. Op dit circuit zal op 29 april a.s. het DTM seizoen van start gaan. Het is dan voor het eerst sinds 11 oktober 1992 dat BMW weer deelneemt.
Afbeelding
Vorige week kwamen alle BMW DTM rijders in actie. Op maandag en dinsdag Martin Tomczyk, Dirk Werner en Augusto Farfus. Hun teamgenoten, Joey Hand, Bruno Spengler en Andy Priaulx deden hun testprogramma op woensdag en donderdag.
Op de ochtend van de derde dag had Spengler een ongeluk. Terwijl het circuit opdroogde, raakte hij bij een remactie in de laatste bocht in een spin kwam hij met de achterkant van de auto in aanraking met de muur. Na reparatie van de auto, kwam hij weer in actie.
Afbeelding
De BMW M3 DTM kreeg zijn roll-out op BMW's eigen testlocatie in Aschheim op 4 juli 2011. Een goede negen maanden later is de volledig nieuw ontwikkelde auto klaar voor zijn eerste race in Hockenheim.
Afbeelding
Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport directeur): "De vier dagen durende test in Hockenheim vormde een belangrijk onderdeel van onze intensieve voorbereidingen op onze DTM-comeback. Sinds afgelopen zomer hebben onze teams veel tijd op het circuit doorgebracht met de BMW M3 DTM om geleidelijk te komen tot het niveau dat nodig is om concurrerend te zijn in de DTM. We zijn blij met het resultaat en hebben alle doelen bereikt die we ons zelf hadden opgelegd. Maar we weten heel goed dat onze ervaren DTM-rivalen ook hard gewerkt hebben. Ons doel blijft om zo snel mogelijk concurrerend te zijn. We kunnen niet wachten tot het moment dat onze eerste DTM-race na bijna 20 jaar begint."
Afbeelding
Bron: BMW

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 24 apr 2012, 16:18 
Oud-Roerganger

DTM at Hockenheim: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher to drive classic and modern Silver Arrows

MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS driver Nico Rosberg’s first Formula 1 win in the Chinese Grand Prix one week ago was also the first for a works Silver Arrow since the 1955 Italian Grand Prix. The victory in Shanghai came precisely 20,671 days after five-time Formula 1 champion Juan Manuel Fangio won the world championship at Monza in his Mercedes-Benz W196. In the 55 years between 1955 and 2010, there was no such thing as a thoroughbred works Silver Arrow in Formula 1. Rosberg's win came in the 41st Grand Prix of the new era.
Afbeelding
To thank his German fans for their incredible support, Rosberg will be performing demonstration laps around the Hockenheimring in Juan Manuel Fangio’s race-winning Silver Arrow from the 1955 season.
Afbeelding
This will be Rosberg’s second visit to the DTM season opener at Hockenheim: last year, he volunteered his services as a DTM ‘taxi driver’ at the wheel of the THOMAS SABO AMG Mercedes C‑Class. Rosberg’s involvement in last season’s DTM extended to the first ever Show Event in Munich: on that occasion, he drove a Formula 1 Silver Arrow around the temporary circuit in the Olympic Stadium.
Nico will not be the only prominent guest at Hockenheim; his MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS team-mate Michael Schumacher is also keen to be present for the opening race of the world’s most popular touring car series and will be in Hockenheim on Sunday 29th April. Like Rosberg, the seven-time Formula 1 champion will be bringing a Silver Arrow to the event, namely the 2011 MGP W02 in which he will complete a sequence of demonstration laps.
Afbeelding
Nico Rosberg: “I have great memories of the DTM. The earliest date back to when my father was still racing. Then I started competing in the various junior classes that are staged as part of the DTM race weekend as I started out on my own motorsport career. A lot has happened in the meantime, and the highlight so far was obviously my win in China one week ago. I am absolutely delighted to be returning to Hockenheim as a Grand Prix winner. Last year, I was able to drive a classic Silver Arrow on the famous Nürburgring Nordschleife, so now I’m really looking forward to climbing into the cockpit of Juan Manuel Fangio’s phenomenal W196 streamliner from Monza in 1955 and driving a few laps at Hockenheim. It means a lot to me that we have written a new chapter in the wonderful history of Mercedes in motorsport – and that there is plenty more still to come.”
Afbeelding
Michael Schumacher: “After a busy start to the Formula 1 season with four flyaway races in succession, it will be nice to come back to Germany for the DTM season opener at Hockenheim on Sunday. I’m especially looking forward to the chance to give the fans a taste of a Formula 1 Silver Arrow in action.
This will be my first visit to a DTM race in 20 years, and I hope that my brother and his fellow Mercedes-Benz drivers will get their season off to a great start.”
Afbeelding
Norbert Haug, Vice-President Mercedes-Benz Motorsport:
“DTM begins a new era this weekend in Hockenheim, with a brand-new and exciting generation of cars. To mark the occasion, we wanted to give the spectators at the circuit something extra, and both our F1 drivers were immediately right behind the idea. Following his victory at the Chinese Grand Prix ten days ago, Nico Rosberg will complete demonstration laps in the Silver Arrow W 196 streamliner, with which Juan Manuel Fangio won at Monza in 1955. On Sunday, just before the start of the race, Michael Schumacher will complete a demonstration run in last year’s F1 Silver Arrow.
It’s a throwback to the start of the DTM, which now features three premium manufacturers, and a way of saying thank you to the loyal DTM fans and to our Mercedes colleagues, thousands of whom will be in the Motodrom this weekend, accounting for a high proportion of the 55,000 pre-sold tickets. We are delighted to be able to offer the fans these additional attractions and Nico and Michael are excited to be attending on one of their few free weekends, for which I sincerely thank both of them.”
Afbeelding
bron: Daimler AG

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 24 apr 2012, 19:20 
Oud-Roerganger

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 25 apr 2012, 12:08 
Oud-Roerganger

C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series provides for safety in the DTM:
The new DTM Safety Car: the most powerful C-Class of all time

A further highlight of the 2012 DTM season in addition to the spectacular new Mercedes-AMG C-Coupé will be the DTM Safety Car: right from the off, C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series will be providing the necessary safety for the world's most popular touring car series. With a maximum output of 380 kW (517 hp), this two-seater is the most powerful C-Class of all time. The German Touring Car Masters (DTM) gets underway at the Hockenheimring on 29 April 2012.
Afbeelding
The Safety Car is deployed under the direction of the German Motorsport Association (DMSB), which is responsible for implementing safety measures, ensuring compliance with safety standards and discharging the attendant official sporting functions in accordance with the DTM rules. The C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series Safety Car driven by racing driver Jürgen Kastenholz (44) is intended to ensure maximum safety for racing drivers, spectators and track marshals in case of dangerous situations, such as extreme weather conditions, accidents or other incidents. In response to a radio message from the race organisers, the Safety Car enters the track and leads the DTM field around the circuit until normal racing can be resumed.
Afbeelding
The most powerful C-Class of all time stands for spectacular design, technology transfer from the field of motorsport and driving dynamics of the very highest calibre. As such, the C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series only required modification to a few points of detail for deployment as the DTM Safety Car. The most striking feature distinguishing it from the series production version is the aerodynamically optimised light bar on the roof. Energy-efficient, fast-response LEDs in green and orange keep the DTM racing drivers informed of the current situation.
Afbeelding
Green: the two central green lights on the front and rear are always active when the C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series enters the field at the beginning of a Safety Car phase. Continuous green is the signal for all DTM drivers to overtake the Safety Car.

Orange: as soon as the Safety Car is in position in front of all DTM vehicles, the green LEDs are switched off and the orange LEDs are activated. The flashing orange lights at the outer ends of the light bar indicate that overtaking is absolutely prohibited.
The stroboscope-like flashing LED lights on the front and rear remain active throughout the Safety Car phase. The license plate with Safety Car lettering which is illuminated by LEDs on the boot lid provides for better visibility in poor weather.
Afbeelding
Engine, power transmission, chassis, suspension and brake system corresponding to series production variant
The AMG 6.3-litre V8 engine corresponds to the series-production engine: with a maximum output of 380 kW (517 hp) and maximum torque of 620 Newton metres it even tops the roughly 377 kW (500 hp) V8 engine in the Mercedes-AMG C-Coupé which is being used in the DTM. The high-speed naturally aspirated engine enables acceleration to 100 km/h from a standing start in 4.2 seconds and a top speed of 300 km/h (electronically limited). With the spectators at the race track and the TV audience in mind, the C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series Safety Car is fitted with a modified AMG sports exhaust system. The special rear silencer guarantees a distinctive AMG V8 sound.
Afbeelding
Engine cooling, power transmission, chassis and suspension, brake system – these areas have been honed to perfection and did not require any modification. The AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission with four drive programmes, double-declutching function and RACE START guarantees direct and fast gear-shifting. As is customary in motorsport and typical for a Black Series model, the AMG sports suspension is designed as a coil-over suspension. It covers a broad range of adjustment options for an individual race track set-up. The standard-fit AMG rear-axle differential lock with locking effect in acceleration and deceleration mode combines with the 3-stage ESP® for reliable traction. The AMG high-performance braking system featuring motorsport-tested compound brake disks at the front offers extremely short stopping distances and fade-resistant deceleration performance.
Afbeelding
Optional equipment from the AMG Performance Studio
The C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series DTM Safety Car is equipped with the AMG Track package, the AMG Aerodynamics package, the AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre package and forged AMG light-alloy wheels. The AMG Track package comprises active rear axle gear cooling and sports tyres. The radiator is positioned in front of the diffuser insert in the rear apron, where it effectively takes in the air stream. The specially developed Dunlop Sport Maxx Race sports tyres in size 255/35 R 19 at the front and 285/30 R 19 at the rear are fitted on forged AMG wheels which are painted matt black with a high-sheen rim flange.

The AMG Aerodynamics package includes so-called flics and a functionally designed genuine carbon-fibre front splitter on the front apron, plus a fixed carbon-fibre rear aerofoil with adjustable blade. All three components provide the vehicle with a sharper profile while optimising its aerodynamic balance. The AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre package covers exterior mirror housings, the inserts in the side sill panels and a diffuser insert in genuine carbon fibre. All optional equipment items come from the AMG Performance Studio and are available ex-factory for every C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series.
Afbeelding
Functional race-track atmosphere in the interior
The interior also corresponds to the series production model, with a few exceptions. The two AMG sports bucket seats ensure optimum lateral support for driver and co-driver. In view of the intended deployment on the race track, four-point seat belts are used. Optimum control of the vehicle is guaranteed by the AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA with flattened top and bottom rim sections and aluminium gearshift paddles.

AMG carbon-fibre trim featuring the "AMG Black Series" logo underscores the functional race-track atmosphere. For communication with the race organisers, the Safety Car is equipped with a two-way radio system and TV monitor. The camera located next to the rear license plate provides the co-driver with a view of the DTM cars following the Safety Car. Under the monitor there are four buttons in blue, green, orange and silver for operating the light bar, the stroboscope-type flashing LED lights and the horn.
Afbeelding
DTM Safety Car provided by Mercedes-AMG since 2000
Mercedes-AMG has been providing the Safety Car ever since the beginning of the "new" DTM in 2000, alternating with Audi from race to race – and since 2012 with BMW also. In the Formula 1 World Championship, an SLS AMG is deployed as an Official F1 Safety-Car and a C 63 AMG Estate serves as an Official F1 Medical Car.

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 25 apr 2012, 13:45 
Oud-Roerganger

Comments on the DTM season opener at Hockenheim from:

Jamie Green (29, England, Mercedes AMG C-Coupé):

won the closing race of the 2011 season at Hockenheim
his record at Hockenheim is two victories (2007 and 2011), two pole positions (2005 and 2006) and five fastest race laps (2005, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2011)

“I’m really looking forward to the new DTM season. We’re in for an interesting and thrilling year with our new Mercedes AMG C-Coupé. The fans can look forward to seeing spectacular cars in action and to witnessing some close-fought encounters on the track. For myself, I’m obviously hoping that I can start the new DTM era in the same way that I finished the old one – namely with a win. The DTM field is so strong and well matched that it is vital to lay down a marker in the first race and to build on that basis by consistently finishing at or near the front.”

Ralf Schumacher (36, Germany, Mercedes AMG C-Coupé):

started from third on the grid in the 2011 season opener at Hockenheim
claimed his first DTM podium in the 2011 season opener

“I have very positive memories of the season opener last year when I finished on the podium for the first time in my DTM career. It would be great if I could repeat that result this season. However, the winter testing has left us none the wiser as to the balance of power in the new DTM era – we’ll only find that out at Hockenheim. All the same, we’re coming to Hockenheim well prepared for the new season. I’m expecting an exciting race and – hopefully – a good result for myself.”

Gary Paffett (31, England, THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé):

has won three times at Hockenheim (2004, 2009 and 2010)
has finished on the podium at Hockenheim on six occasions

“New cars, new drivers, new teams – it promises to be an exciting and intriguing start to the season. During the tests, I’ve thoroughly familiarised myself with our new Mercedes AMG C-Coupé and got used to the different handling of the car. It’s hard to predict the result of the first race, but I’m happy with our level of preparation and hope that we can get the season off to a solid start. Since my DTM debut in 2003, I’ve competed in a lot of races at Hockenheim. The circuit consists of three sections: the first corner is very fast and decisive for your time in the first sector; the second section mainly has long straights and demands some hard braking; the last sector is essentially made up of medium-fast and high-speed corners. To set a good lap time at Hockenheim, you need a well balanced car.”

Christian Vietoris (23, Germany, Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé):

started from a Top 10 grid spot on his DTM debut in 2011 at Hockenheim
is a member of the new Mercedes-Benz DTM Junior Team along with Roberto Merhi and Robert Wickens

“Here we go again – at last! I just can’t wait for the start of the season. Our preparations have been very good, and I learned a lot in my rookie season. I intend to build on this and convert the lessons from last year into respectable results. The conditions are perfect: I think I’ve slotted in well with Mercedes-Benz in the DTM and I feel at one with my Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé. I got to know the car well during testing and worked with the engineers on getting the setup right. The Hockenheim circuit is technically very demanding; it requires both good brakes and massive straight-line speed. It’s all about finding the right balance.”

David Coulthard (41, Scotland, DHL Paket Mercedes AMG C-Coupé):

is starting his third DTM season at Hockenheim
had a Top Ten finish in the 2011 season opener at Hockenheim

“Hard to believe it, but I’m just about to start my third DTM season. As always, I’m immensely looking forward to the season opener at Hockenheim, a contributory factor being the part played by the fans in our home race. They really get behind us and generate a fantastic atmosphere in the Motodrom and in the Mercedes-Benz grandstand. The second of these two vantage points gives them an excellent view of perhaps the best place for overtaking on the circuit – before and after the hairpin. I am aiming to improve on my first two seasons in the DTM, especially in qualifying and at the start of the race. If I can do that, I should be able to post decent results this year.”

Norbert Haug, Vice-President Mercedes-Benz Motorsport:“In 2012, the DTM starts a new era - indeed, its third and most important era. The fact that Audi and Mercedes-Benz stayed the course for six years, putting on fascinating races in competition with each other, created the stable platform for a fresh start with new momentum. We are now welcoming BMW as a new competitor to the DTM. Thanks to Audi, Mercedes, the ITR and its board plus the DMSB and its officials, this unique, outstanding motorsport series has been preserved. Now, the world’s three best and best-known premium car manufacturers are competing against each other in the DTM, with a new and exciting generation of vehicles. Over a quarter of a century, Mercedes-Benz has been the most successful manufacturer in the DTM. In figures, a total of 165 victories from 342 races, ten driver titles, nine manufacturer titles and 13 in the team championship, encapsulate the achievements of our teams over the past 24 years. We will all work on the new chapter of this success story with focus and the highest motivation.”
What’s new for the 2012 season

The new DTM cars are coupés (two door) rather than the saloons (four door) used previously
The cars are longer (5,010 mm, previously 4,872 mm), wider (1,950 mm, previously 1,850 mm) and lower (1,210 mm compared to 1,255 mm)
The minimum weight has been set at 1,100 kilos. This is combined weight of the car, driver and onboard camera (or substitute ballast if the car has not been allocated a camera).
As in F1, drivers now change gear using paddles located on the steering wheel
The innovative new safety concept is based on a standard construction carbon fibre monocoque with roll cage and crash structures
There are about 50 other standard components to include parts such as brakes, fuel tank, rear wing, gearbox, clutch and starter motor
The new Hankook tyres are taller and wider than their predecessors. They measure 30 cm at the front (previously 26 cm) and 32 cm at the rear (previously 28 cm)
From this season, in-race refuelling is no longer allowed. Fuel tank capacity has been increased from 70 to 120 litres. The two mandatory pit stops are to remain.
Points are to be awarded to the first ten drivers across the line using the Formula 1 system: 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1
In addition to the driver and team championships, there will also be one for the constructors. The ‘DTM Manufacturer Champion’ is calculated on the basis of the top ten finishers in each race. However, if any manufacturer has more than six cars amongst the points, the others won’t count.
New arrangements for free practice on Fridays and Saturdays: the two sessions will be interrupted by a ten-minute break after the first 45 minutes.
The maximum duration of a race is to be 70 minutes.
For the race at Spielberg, the number of laps has been increased from 38 to 42.
Introduction of a marshalling system: Signals will be given by flags as well as by means of coloured lights on the driver’s display unit.

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 27 apr 2012, 17:07 
Oud-Roerganger

DTM 2012: Een nieuw hoofdstuk voor de BMW M3

Munich. In August 1985, a rumour surfaced in motor magazine Auto-Deutschland which emanated from a new sports car. An A Group Car from BMW that was a thoroughbred racing car according to the rules but was also to be produced in a version licensed to drive on open roads for everyday use. Speculation about this dream car that could take to normal roads and was intended for the “Most dynamic among BMW 3 Series drivers” was right on target. But the pundits missed the mark about the motor-sport car by a mile on one prediction: They were convinced that anyone who “wants to be a key player in the A Team needs to be turbocharged under the bonnet”. Not true. The BMW M3 had a naturally aspirated engine. And it became the most successful touring car in the history of BMW.
Afbeelding
The M3 project was launched just a few months earlier. Production of the M1 mid-engine sports car had already been discontinued for some time and BMW CEO Eberhard Kuenheim commissioned a design for a successor, almost as an aside, according to legend. After one of his regular visits to Motorsport GmbH in Munich’s Preußenstraße he said, almost as he was leaving: “Mr. Rosche, we need a sporty engine for the 3 Series.” His aspiration was in good hands. Motorsport GmbH with its managing director of technical development Paul Rosche had demonstrated its expertise with the legendary 5 Series saloons driven by M engines as well as developing the Formula 1 turbo engine that powered Brazilian Nelson Piquet to win the World Championship in the Brabham BMW in 1983.
Afbeelding
Power source: a four-cylinder engine with 2.3 litres displacement and four-valve engineering.
The new 3 Series engine had something in common with this: the crankcase. It originated from volume production and actually formed the basis for the two-litre engine with four cylinders. Four cylinders meant less weight and high torque, an ideal platform for a sports engine in the projected displacement class. Naturally enough, the series four-cylinder engine was much too tame for a sports engine. A comprehensive power boost was called for in order to turn the plucky daily workhorse into an athletic and sporty power unit. The BMW design engineers increased the displacement to 2.3 litres and applied a formulation that had already achieved significant successes over a period of many years: four-valve engineering. There was also another reason for the decision to opt for a four-cylinder engine and not adopt the six-cylinder engine introduced in the BMW 3 Series. The longer crankshaft in the big engine started to vibrate much earlier than the shorter four-cylinder shaft. The design engineers therefore designed the crankshaft drive of the BMW M3 with sufficient torsional stability to achieve 10,000 revolutions a minute and more. By comparison with the four-cylinder engine installed in the series vehicles, this represented an increase of more than 60 percent.
Afbeelding
Paul Rosche recalls: “We started work immediately. One advantage was that the big six-cylinder engine originally had the same cylinder gap as the four-cylinder engine. We therefore cut two combustion chambers off the four-cylinder head of the M88 and bolted a panel over the hole on the rear side.” This meant that the new four-cylinder engine had a second forebear. The six-cylinder engine that had initially created a sensation in the M1 and had meanwhile transformed the M635CSi into one of the fastest coupés in the world. Paul Rosche: “Whether you believe it or not – we had created an outstanding four-cylinder engine for the 3 Series within the space of two weeks. Under the development name S14, this engine was to generate headlines in sport and in volume production over the years to come. One Sunday, I drove to von Kuenheim’s flat and gave him the car for a test drive. When he came back he said: ‘Good, I like it.’ And that’s how the M3 came into being.”

Contrary to the situation with the mid-engine sports car, the BMW M3 was not going to be crafted by hand in small batches. This car was to be produced as a mass-production automobile on an assembly line. It was destined to compete in near-production touring car motor sport, or more precisely as a Group A racing car, defined as a “production car”, of which at least 5,000 units have to be built within the space of twelve consecutive months in accordance with Annex J of the international automobile sport regulations.
Afbeelding
300 hp for competitive racing.
However, many of them immediately disappeared again into garages and workshops to be given a new outfit. After all, the M3 had been designed as a racing car, and this was the time to prove that it really could “race”. A World Touring Car Championship was held for the first time in 1987. And that was exactly what the M3 had been built for. But not quite in the guise in which it was seen on the streets. Instead of 200 hp, the 2.3 litre engine delivered up to 300 hp at 8,200 rpm in the racing version. This put it on a par with the BMW M635CSi. BMW didn’t line up on the starting grid with its own team but supported a number of famous racing outfits like Schnitzer, Linder, Zackspeed and Bigazzi. Drivers like Markus Oestreich, Christian Danner, Roberto Ravaglia and Wilfried Vogt took the wheel, and Annette Meeuvissen and Mercedes Stermitz were the first women drivers.
Afbeelding
Roberto Ravaglia in the M3: first World Touring Car Champion.
The first race for the 1987 World Touring Car Championship started in Monza on 22 March 1987 – and ended with a sensation. All the M3 cars were excluded from the placings. The vehicles were checked under chaotic conditions and disqualified because of sheet-metal thicknesses that were allegedly contrary to the regulations. BMW appealed but the sports tribunal decided that the appeal had been lodged too late. There was no longer any talk of infringements of the rules. All the brouhaha naturally didn’t have any effect on the result of the championship. At the end of the season, Roberto Ravaglia was standing on the podium as the first World Touring Car Champion. But that was only the pinnacle of the success list. Wilfried Vogt took the title of European Champion. Altfried Heger came in second – both driving a BMW M3. In 1987, the German Touring Car Championship (DTM) also went to the new BMW M3, with Eric van de Poele behind the wheel. Moreover, the most sporty 3 Series car was also winning competitions off the race track. An M3 crossed the finishing line in first place in the Corsica Rally and secured a victory for BMW after a gap of 14 years in a race for the World Rally Championship.
Afbeelding
24 Hour Race: M3 one-two victory on the Nürburgring.
In 1988, the BMW M3 continued the success story and took the national titles in France, England and Spain. In the following year came another victory in the German Touring Car Championship (DTM), this time with Roberto Ravaglia in the driver’s seat, alongside wins at the national championships in Belgium, Holland, France, Italy, Finland, Spain, Sweden and Yugoslavia. Meanwhile, the displacement had been increased to 320 hp and the BMW M3 drove the competition into the ground. Belgian driver Marc Duez battled his way through the Monte Carlo Rally with an M3 and took eighth place as best driver in a car without a four-wheel drive. The sensational one-two victory in the 24-hour classic on the Nürburgring crowned this series of successes in 1989 with the driver combinations Pirro/Ravaglia/Giroix and Heger/Grohs/Manthey.
Afbeelding
Playing with displacement: the right engine for each race.
The M3 had a commanding presence on the international touring car racing scene for five years. It became the most successful touring car of all times by winning the two champion’s titles in the European Touring Car Championship and twice in the German Touring Car Championship. There were also numerous further victories and championship wins at international level. Depending on the competition rules, the four-valve engine had to be adapted to national regulations. For example, the capacity for England was limited to 2 litres while for Germany and France it was raised to 2.5 litres with effect from 1990. This enabled the four-cylinder to deliver up to 355 hp. In the version with the biggest capacity, the engineers of BMW M GmbH went up against the limits of what was feasible. In order to make full use of the 2.5 litre limit, they not only increased the stroke of the 2.3 litre unit from 84 to 87 millimetres, but also increased the cylinder bore from 94 millimetres to 95.5 millimetres. This reduced the width between the cylinders to just 4.5 millimetres. But success proved the development engineers right. The engines withstood the stresses and strains of touring-car racing even at maximum output without any problem.
Afbeelding
1992: the first BMW M3 with a six-cylinder engine.
The year 1992 saw the birth of a completely new M3, this time with an advanced six-cylinder engine. Once again, Motorsport GmbH developed a version for competition in record time. In April 1993, the new M3 was due to line up at the start of the first race for the German Touring Car Championship (DTM). But due to discrepancies in the new regulations, BMW changed its strategy and instead set up a BMW M3 GTR in the striking design of a starting flag and entered the Warsteiner ADAC GT Cup organised by the German Automobile Association. The six-cylinder now generated 325 hp, the car weighed 1300 kilos in accordance with the regulations. A strong BMW team lined up at the start with Johnny Cecotto and Kris Nissen, and Cecotto ended up taking the championship at the end of the season. However, this was the end of the motor-sport chapter for this M3 GTR for the time being. Changes in the regulations meant that the potent 3 Series had no realistic changes of victory any more.
Afbeelding
The BMW M3 GTR: the most powerful M3 ever.
BMW only returned to motor sport as a works team with a BMW M3 seven years later. In 2001, the first starting flag came down for the new BMW M3 GTR powered by a 450 hp V8 engine. The most powerful M3 ever set benchmarks in the GT class of the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) with its four-litre engine and raced in a quartet: Team BMW Motorsport entered two cars under the management of Charly Lamm and two other cars were raced by the American BMW Team PTG run by Tom Milner, who hailed originally from Germany. The coupé took seven victories in ten races, six of them were from pole positions. BMW works driver Jörg Müller won the driver’s championship in the GT Class, BMW Motorsport won the team placings, and BMW became constructors’ champion in the company’s most important export market.
Afbeelding
But the advanced BMW M3 GTR also caused a sensation in Europe. Two each of these eight-cylinder racing cars lined up at the start of the 24 Hour Race at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium and on the Nürburgring in 2004 and 2005.The result: In both years, BWM took a one-two victory on the Nürburgring, and class victory went to BMW in Spa in 2004.
Afbeelding
In 2009, the next generation of the M3 started in the American Le Mans Series. The V8 engine was beefed up to 485 hp and entered the Twelve Hour Race at Sebring for the first time. The successes meant that the M3 was also raced in Europe in the following year. It lined up at the start of the 24 Hour Race on the Nürburgring, in Le Mans and in Spa-Francorchamps. The result: outright victory on the Nürburgring – for the 19th time – and class victory in Spa.
Afbeelding
And the next winner will soon be on the starting line in 2012. BMW will be back at the German Touring Car Masters (DTM) with three teams and the new BMW M3 DTM.

bron: BMW

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 02 mei 2012, 11:03 
Oud-Roerganger

Gary Paffett and Jamie Green achieve one-two victory in DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé debut

Gary Paffett (THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) won the 2012 DTM season opener at Hockenheim from sixth place on the grid with a 4.7- second lead on Jamie Green (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé). It was Paffett’s 18th Victory in the DTM and his fourth at Hockenheim. It was the British driver’s 26th podium in the 82nd DTM race of his career and his seventh in a DTM race at Hockenheim. With 18 wins and a winning rate of 22%, Paffett has achieved the greatest number of victories among those drivers currently contesting the DTM. Paffett and Green secured the 100th one-two victory for Mercedes-Benz in the DTM since 1988.
It was the sixth consecutive Mercedes victory at their home race in Hockenheim (opener and finale), and their third win in a row at a DTM season opener (Paffett 2010 and 2012, and Bruno Spengler, 2011). Overall since 1988, Mercedes-Benz has won 32 of 65 DTM races at the Hockenheimring. During the same period, Mercedes-Benz drivers were victorious 166 times in 343 DTM races.
Paffett’s victory was the first success in the new DTM era in the three-way battle between the three premium brands Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz and the first victory for the new DTM Mercedes AMG C Coupé, the successor to the AMG Mercedes C-Class, which is the most successful vehicle in the history of the DTM with 85 victories in 159 races.
Afbeelding
Christian Vietoris (Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé) advanced from 15th on the grid to finish fourth. Ralf Schumacher (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) and David Coulthard (DHL Paket Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) were also amongst the points, finishing seventh and eighth respectively. Susie Wolff (TV Spielfilm Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) and Robert Wickens (stern Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) ended the day in twelfth and 14th positions. DTM rookie Roberto Merhi (Junge Sterne Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) was forced to retire from the race.
Jamie Green set the fastest lap with a time of 1:34.901 minutes – the sixth time he has done so at Hockenheim. It is also the 36th time in 65 DTM races at this venue that a Mercedes-Benz driver has posted the fastest lap time. Nine of the last ten fastest laps here were set by a Mercedes-Benz driver.
Afbeelding
A total of 142,000 fans attended the DTM opener at Hockenheim this weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun). Some 71,000 spectators were at the track for Sunday’s first race of the new DTM era.
Afbeelding
Race summary
The start: Jamie Green defends his P2 off the line. Gary Paffett moves up two places to fourth. Ralf Schumacher goes up from eleventh on the grid to eighth place.
Lap 2: Paffett overtakes Edoardo Mortara (Audi) in front of the Mercedes-Benz grandstand.
Lap 4: Green overtakes lead driver, Mattias Ekström (Audi), to move into P1. Paffett quickly follows him and is now in second place.
Lap 6: Drive-through penalty for Ralf Schumacher. Christian Vietoris moves up to eighth position.
Lap 8: Green and Paffett in the lead with a half-second gap between them.
Lap 9: Vietoris overtakes Filipe Albuquerque (Audi) and is seventh.
Lap 10: The pit stop window is now open. First mandatory stop for Vietoris. Green extends his lead on Paffett to 0.7 seconds and 4.5 seconds on Ekström.
Lap 12: Schumacher pits for fresh tyres.
Lap 13: Green and Coulthard come into the pits. Paffett now leads.
Lap 14: First mandatory stop for Paffett. He retains his lead on Green.
Lap 15: Fresh tyres for Susie Wolff and DTM rookie Robert Wickens.
Lap 16: Mandatory pit stop for Roberto Merhi.
Lap 18: Paffett has built up a lead of 1.2 seconds on Green and 8.7 seconds on Ekström.
Lap 19 : Drive-through penalty for Wickens.
Lap 20: At the half-way stage, three DTM AMG Mercedes C- Coupés are in the top 5: Paffett and Green in P1 and 2, Vietoris in fifth place.
Lap 21: Second pit stop for Coulthard.
Lap 22: Final mandatory pit stop for Schumacher and Wolff.
Lap 24: Merhi and Wickens come in for second pit stop.
Lap 26: Vietoris pits from fourth position.
Lap 27: Lead driver Paffett pits for second time.
Lap 28: Last pit stop for Green. Paffett defends lead from team-mate. Vietoris in fifth place.
Lap 32: Schumacher overtakes Miguel Molina (Audi) to secure eighth place.
Lap 34: Vietoris overtakes Mike Rockenfeller (Audi) to move into fourth place.
Lap 35: Schumacher goes up into P7, in front of Coulthard.
Lap 38: Merhi retires in the pits.
Final lap (Lap 40): After 40 laps and a total distance of 182.96 kilometres, Gary Paffett wins the 2012 DTM season opener at Hockenheim from Jamie Green. Christian Vietoris, Ralf Schumacher and David Coulthard finish in P4, P7 and P8 respectively.
Afbeelding
Comments after the race:
Gary Paffett (THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), Winner:
„What a fantastic start to the new DTM era. Many thanks to the team for their hard work - my THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé was tuned perfectly. After a difficult season in 2011, I am pleased to have found the way back to the podium top spot. I've always believed in the team and my speed and that’s now paid off. The scrap with Jamie was really exciting and always very fair, which is exactly how racing should be, simply terrific!“
Afbeelding
Jamie Green (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), Second:
„Second place on the podium – what a great way to start the 2012 season! The setup of my Mercedes AMG C-Coupé was perfect for today’s race, so a big ‘thank you’ to my team. I got off to a great start and was able to overtake Mattias Ekström early on to take the lead. The contest with Gary was exciting and always very fair. His first pit stop was even faster than mine, so he came out of the pit lane ahead of me. Even so, I’m well satisfied with my second place and am delighted with the one-two win for Mercedes-Benz in the first race of the season.“
Afbeelding
Christian Vietoris (Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé), Fourth:
„I had a terrific race at the season opener. After qualifying, I would never have dreamt that I could move up from 15th position to fourth, but my C-Coupé was really well prepared and very fast. The pit crew too did their work brilliantly. Overall, it was a great team effort and I'm also very pleased for Gary and Jamie and their one-two victory.“
Afbeelding
Ralf Schumacher (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), Seventh:
„This was a thrilling and exciting start to the new DTM era. I think that the race made exciting entertainment for the many fans in the stands and at home watching on TV. My result could have been better, but I made a mistake and got a penalty, which I have to accept. My pace was good, so I'm really looking forward to the race next weekend at the Lausitzring.“
Afbeelding
David Coulthard (DHL Paket Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), Eighth:
„A P8 finish and three points in the first race of the season is a good result for me. After all the uncertainty in the winter, it was good to actually drive the car under race conditions and to find out where we are relative to the opposition. The one-two victory for Gary und Jamie shows that our C-Coupé is very fast. However, this competition is very tight and there is still everything to play for.“
Afbeelding
Susie Wolff (TV Spielfilm Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), Twelfth:
„What a great start to the season for Mercedes-Benz! I'm very happy for Gary and Jamie, and our team result – five C-Coupés in the Top 8 – was just fantastic. My race was predetermined to some extent since I couldn’t do much from my position on the grid, but a twelfth place from the last row is not a bad result. At the next race in Lausitz, I want to secure a better grid position and improve my placing.“
Afbeelding
Robert Wickens (stern Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), 14th:
„I didn't manage to finish in the points today, unfortunately. But personally, I think 14th place at the start of the season is quite an achievement for a rookie, especially in such a hard-fought competition as this. I have learned a lot from this first race and I'm sure it will put me in good stead for the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure that with the superb support of the Mercedes team, I will continue to improve as the year progresses.“
Afbeelding
Roberto Merhi (Junge Sterne Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), retired:
„Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy the best of starts in my first DTM race. To add to that, after just five laps, I had a collision with two other cars – my car was damaged and so I was no longer able to match the pace.“
Afbeelding
Norbert Haug, Vice President Mercedes-Benz Motorsport:
“Our new C-Coupé was really on song today. This one-two finish for Gary Paffett and Jamie Green is the best possible reward for everyone who has worked so hard on the design and construction of our new DTM C-Coupé. My thanks to everyone – that was some of the best motor racing ever. It just does not get any better, especially Jamie’s and Gary’s overtaking. Super! This represents our 100th one-two victory in the DTM. Five Mercedes AMG C-Coupés finished in the Top 8, and 65% of all the available points went to our drivers and teams. We’ve made a solid start to the new DTM.
We will now focus on the race at the Lausitzring next weekend, but first, we have a little celebrating to do with everyone who has worked so hard.”
Afbeelding

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 02 mei 2012, 12:15 
Oud-Roerganger

BMW haalt punten in Hockenheim

Looking back at a positive start: BMW returned to the DTM with a promising performance at the Hockenheimring (DE). On Saturday four out of six BMW M3 DTM cars secured a top-ten grid position with Dirk Werner (DE) finishing third. After the first race of the season, BMW currently has eight points to its name, courtesy of Andy Priaulx (GB).

The pack will be shuffled again at the Lausitzring this weekend. The three BMW teams may have spent some days testing there last year, but this test happened quite early in the development of the BMW M3 DTM. Therefore, the drivers must take full advantage of the free practice sessions, in particular, to reacquaint themselves with the track and work on the set-up of their race-spec BMW M3 DTM cars.

The DTM is a regular at the Lausitzring. The first DTM race was staged at this circuit in 2001. The crowds quite literally have front-row seats there: the imposing grandstand next to the start-finish straight provides views of almost the entire track. Few circuits in Germany offer as many circuit variants as the Lausitzring. The DTM race will be held on the 3.478-kilometre track, which consists of parts of the tri-oval and the round circuit.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
“The dust has barely settled after our DTM comeback, and already the adventure continues: this weekend we move on to the Lausitzring for race two. There is no time to catch a breather between races. Our teams all worked hard in Hockenheim, and they will have their hands full to repair the damaged cars in time for the first practice session ahead of the next race. The Lausitzring will demand a great deal from everyone. However, the whole team is motivated, as they can all see that we are heading in the right direction. The overall package is working well and the performance is promising. At the same time, Hockenheim showed that we still need to improve some areas. That is normal for a newcomer. We are looking forward to the second race of the season. We want to back up the fine performance at the season-opener in front of the fans at the Lausitzring. The crowd of 142,000 in Hockenheim just goes to show how the 2012 DTM has captured people’s imagination.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 1, BMW Team RMG):
“Last year I won at the Lausitzring. That was a special moment. However, we will have to wait and see how the BMW M3 DTM goes at this very special track. The season-opener in Hockenheim showed that we are competitive. Only Saturday’s qualifying will show to what extent the same is true at the Lausitzring. I obviously hope we are quick there too.”

Joey Hand (car number 2, BMW Team RMG):
“I am glad that I now have all the debuts behind me: my first DTM practice, my first qualifying, my first race, and much more. It goes without saying that you cannot help but think about all those things in the run-up to the first race in a new series. At the Lausitzring, I should, to a certain extent, be able to revert to something of a routine. I will concentrate on working with BMW Team RMG to find the optimal setting for the BMW M3 DTM in Lausitz. Then we will see what happens come the weekend.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 7, BMW Team Schnitzer):
“The Lausitzring is one of my very favourite tracks. I have had several podium finishes there. This year, however, we are obviously entering uncharted waters with the BMW M3 DTM. That is why it is so important for me to get as many laps as possible under my belt during in free practice. I hope the car runs as well as it did last weekend.”

Dirk Werner (car number 8, BMW Team Schnitzer):
“It goes without saying that not all the experience we gained in Hockenheim can be applied at the Lausitzring. We hardly have any time to prepare for the race. For this reason, it will be crucial to find a good set-up for the BMW M3 DTM as quickly as possible. If we manage that, we will hopefully be in good shape again. I have taken a lot of positives from Hockenheim, particularly qualifying, and am now hungry to get back out on the track.”

Andy Priaulx (car number 15, BMW Team RBM):
“I have very special memories of the Lausitzring. It was there that I sat at the wheel of the BMW M3 DTM for the first time. The grip level is relatively low there, and there are a few bumps. The circuit offers some very good overtaking opportunities. I reckon it will be very close again, particularly in qualifying. The sixth place in Hockenheim has given me a real boost. I am ready for my second DTM weekend.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 16, BMW Team RBM):
“I only came away from our test sessions with positive impressions of the Lausitzring. The track surface is special and very undulating. The whole venue is very impressive. Obviously the huge grandstands were empty during the tests, but when thousands of fans are there for our second race, there is bound to be an electrifying atmosphere. We made a promising debut at the Hockenheimring. It is now a question of continuing the positive start to the season and making full use of the experience we gained there.”
Afbeelding

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 07 mei 2012, 12:01 
Oud-Roerganger

One second gap: Gary Paffett second

Gary Paffett (THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), managed to get on the podium again a week after his win in the opening race of the new DTM Era in Hockenheim. The British driver came 2nd in the second race of the 2012 DTM season at the Lausitzring. Bruno Spengler (BMW) won the race. After the first two races of the season, Paffett leads the drivers' standings with 43 points from Jamie Green (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé / 30 points). The team standings are headed by the Team THOMAS SABO / Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG. Mercedes AMG are in second place with 37 points. Mercedes-Benz also leads in the DTM manufacturer championship with 96 points to BMW’s 54 points and Audi, 52 points.
Afbeelding
Jamie Green, 2nd in the opening race of the season Hockenheim a week ago, came 4th. Green posted a time of 1:19.025 minutes, the fastest lap of the race at the Lausitzring. This is the second time he has done it at this track. In total, Mercedes has clocked eight out of thirteen fastest laps in DTM races at this track since 2001. It was also the 164th quickest lap for Mercedes-Benz since 1988.
In his 45th DTM race, Ralf Schumacher (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) moved up the field from 16th place to P10 and so finished in the points. Christian Vietoris (Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé) and David Coulthard (DHL Paket Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) finished in P11 and P12. In his second DTM race, Roberto Merhi (Junge Sterne Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) came home in 16th place. Susie Wolff (TV Spielfilm Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) was 21st, Robert Wickens (stern Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) did not finish.
A total of 72,000 spectators attended the DTM race weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) at the Lausitzring.
Afbeelding
Race summary
The start: Gary Paffett moves up one position at the start into P2. Jamie Green overtakes Mike Rockenfeller on the first turn and is fifth. Vietoris moves up the field four places from 18th on the grid.
Lap 8: Green goes by Edoardo Mortara (Audi) and is in fourth place.
Lap 11: Ralf Schumacher and Christian Vietoris overtake Adrien Tambay (Audi).
Lap 13: The pit stop window is now open. Roberto Merhi, Schumacher and Vietoris come in for their first mandatory stop.
Lap 15 : First set of fresh tyres for Paffett.
Lap 18: Mehri wins through against Tambay in the scrap for 19th position.
Lap 21: Green now leads the race from Bruno Spengler (BMW) and Paffett.
Lap 25: Second pit stop for Merhi.
Lap 26: Green still in the lead but comes in now to make his first pit stop.
Lap 28: Schumacher makes his second mandatory pit stop.
Lap 30: Vietoris overtakes Rockenfeller.
Lap 31: Schumacher goes by Rahel Frey (Audi). Paffett comes in for final mandatory pit stop.
Lap 33: Green in P2 turns into the pit lane.
Lap 36: Paffett four tenths down on Spengler in second place.
Lap 48: Robert Wickens coasts to a halt at the side of the track.
Final lap: After 52 laps and a total distance of 180.856 kilometers, Gary Paffett and Jamie Green are second and fourth. Ralf Schumacher is tenth.
Afbeelding
Comments after the race:
Gary Paffett (THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), Second:
„It's such a pity. My THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé had enough speed to win again today. I was just a bit too far behind at the pit-stop. Having said that, my car was really quick and had a brilliant set-up, a tribute to the team. I was also so close to Bruno Spengler's car that I was losing a bit of down force. However, I did give it my all and being second on the podium within the space of a week is a great result for us, especially after the win in the opening race.“
Afbeelding
Jamie Green (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), Fourth:
„My Mercedes-AMG C-Coupé was just terrific today. Augusto Farfus drove a fantastic race. I was behind him most of the time, but despite the great pace of my car, I couldn’t get past. Now the focus of my attention has to be on my home race at Brands Hatch where I’m hoping to get back on the podium again.“
Afbeelding
Ralf Schumacher (Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), 10th:
„Our C-Coupé was pretty quick today. The car performed flawlessly and the same applies to the strategy and the pit stops. This enabled us to progress from 16th to 10th place. If I can get a better grid position in the next race, I'll hopefully not get stuck in traffic and be able to compete with the front runners.“
Afbeelding
Christian Vietoris (Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé), 11th:
„We were not quite as quick as at the season opener in Hockenheim. There was a lot of dirt on the track which cost us more than we expected. It’s a bit annoying that we just missed a points finish, but hopefully things will go better for us in two weeks time at Brands Hatch.“
Afbeelding
David Coulthard (DHL Paket Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), 12th:
„I had to be careful at the start of the race not to collide with any other cars and make sure my car wasn't damaged. I gave it my all and got the best possible result. I just couldn't have managed any more than that.“
Afbeelding
Roberto Merhi (Junge Sterne Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), 16th:
„I think the race went well but I would have preferred to have been further up the field. I'm hoping that things will be better for me at Brands Hatch given a bit more preparation.“
Afbeelding
Susie Wolff (TV Spielfilm Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), 21st:
„I had a bit of a disappointing race. Straight after my first pit stop I realised that there was no way I could make any great progress in the race. I’ll just have to draw a line in the sand now and look to the future.“
Afbeelding
Robert Wickens (stern Mercedes AMG C-Coupé), retired
„Unfortunately I skidded off the track on lap 48. However, I have made some progress despite this. I'll now focus all my efforts on Brands Hatch and hopefully pick up my first DTM points there.“
Afbeelding
Norbert Haug, Vice President Mercedes-Benz Motorsport:
„Both Gary and Jamie had the speed to secure P1, but at this track it is not enough to simply go faster to be able to overtake. Gary started the race from third place, a mere 0.043 seconds adrift of pole position. He immediately moved up one position as the race began but was subsequently unable to get past the rear of Spengler’s car, which he was then forced to follow for about 50 laps.
Congratulations to BMW and Bruno Spengler on their victory and many thanks to our team for their sterling work since the beginning of the season, which has enabled us to head all three championship standings – the drivers’, the team and manufacturers’ championships.
As in Hockenheim, our C-Coupé and our drivers were highly competitive and we want to make a concerted effort to build on that.“
Afbeelding

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 07 mei 2012, 13:27 
Oud-Roerganger

Spengler behaalt 50e overwinning voor BMW in de DTM

Just two races into its comeback season, BMW is back on the top step of the DTM podium: 19 years, six months and 25 days after the last triumph, Bruno Spengler (CA), at the wheel of the BMW Bank M3 DTM, crossed the finish line at the Lausitzring (DE) in first place. In a thrilling second race of the season, Spengler held off the challenge of Mercedes driver Gary Paffett (GB), who finished runner-up. Augusto Farfus (BR) came third in the Castrol EDGE BMW M3 DTM to complete a fantastic team result for BMW.

Spengler follows in the footsteps of Roberto Ravaglia (IT), who claimed the brand’s 49th victory in the DTM on 11th October 1992 in Hockenheim (DE). Back then, BMW Team Schnitzer, with Team Principal Charly Lamm on the pit wall, was responsible for the BMW M3. Almost 20 years later, the team from Freilassing (DE) once again made DTM history with BMW’s 50th victory and the first win since the company’s return to the series. The victory also represents a milestone for Spengler: the 28-year-old secured the tenth victory of this DTM career at the 3.478-kilometre Lausitzring. Spengler’s maiden win came at the Norisring (DE) on 23rd July 2006.
Afbeelding
Reigning DTM champion Martin Tomczyk (DE, BMW M Performance Parts M3 DTM) finished seventh to score six points for BMW Team RMG. His team-mate Joey Hand (US) crossed the line 14th in his SAMSUNG BMW M3 DTM. Andy Priaulx (GB, Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M3 DTM) and Dirk Werner (DE, E-POSTBRIEF BMW M3 DTM) came home 17th and 19th respectively. The action was watched by 72,000 motorsport fans at the Lausitzring over the course of the weekend.

Right from the first lap, BMW drivers Spengler and Farfus were involved in a thrilling duel with Mercedes’ Paffett and Jamie Green (GB). Spengler defended his lead at the start and then held onto his position at the front of the field, thanks largely to excellent work by BMW Team Schnitzer during the two pit stops. Although Farfus was passed by Paffett on lap one, the Brazilian brilliantly withstood pressure from the fourth-placed Green for lap after lap. His reward came in the form of his first podium finish in the DTM.
Afbeelding
Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
“This is a very special moment – beyond our wildest dreams. Bruno Spengler’s magnificent victory is the icing on the cake at the end of an incredible week. First came our impressive comeback weekend in Hockenheim, then the first pole position yesterday and now – in only our second race – our first victory in the new DTM era. That is really fantastic, simply unbelievable. Bruno produced an outstanding performance and took full advantage of his pole position. He has added another important chapter to BMW’s success story in motorsport. On the 40th anniversary of BMW M, we have taken the number of wins achieved by the BMW M3 in the DTM to 41. That makes me extremely proud, particularly bearing in mind the hard work that everyone in the team has put in over the last few weeks and months. Despite this, we would be well advised to keep both feet firmly on the ground. We have enjoyed an almost perfect start to our comeback season. However, we still have to go to a lot of races at circuits where we have not completed a single kilometre in testing. Furthermore, the 2012 DTM is so close that the pack is reshuffled at every track. This means that form and trends can change very quickly. We wanted to be in a position to achieve a good result when the opportunity came along. That is precisely what happened today, and we grasped our chance with both hands.”
Afbeelding

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Ongelezen berichtGeplaatst: 07 mei 2012, 14:16 
Oud-Roerganger

Vier Audi’s A5 DTM in de top tien op Lausitzring
Op zondag werd op de Lausitzring (in de deelstaat Brandenbrug) de tweede race in de Duitse toerwagenserie DTM verreden. Evenals tijdens de seizoensopening, een week eerder op het circuit van Hockenheim, scoorden vier van de acht Audi-coureurs punten voor het kampioenschap. Voor de tweede keer op rij was de Zweed Mattias Ekström, die met zijn Audi A5 DTM ditmaal als vijfde eindigde, de best geklasseerde Audi-coureur. Een plaats achter hem werd zijn Duitse teamgenoot in het Audi Sport Team Abt Sportsline, Timo Scheider, als zesde geklasseerd. De Italiaan Edoardo Mortara eindigde met zijn Audi van het Audi Sport Team Rosberg als achtste, zijn Portugese teamgenoot Filipe Albuquerque werd negende.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
bron: Pon

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 15 berichten ] 

Alle tijden zijn GMT + 1 uur